Friends of the Dr. Richard Eells House
Friends of the Dr. Richard Eells House is a group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the documented Underground Railroad house at 415 Jersey St. The house was built circa 1835 for physician Dr. Eells. The museum is used as a site for educational tours to explain both the Underground Railroad as well as the architectural techniques of the period.
The house is open for group tours by appointment. Arrangements for tours may be made by calling 217-223-1800. The house is open Sat: 1-4 pm April through Nov. By appointment Dec. through March.
There are articles for various Quincy Whig editions of the 1840s era relating to the pursuit and arrest of Dr. Eells when he attempted to assist a slave, Charley, escape from his owner in Missouri. The is also a copy of the U.S. Supreme Court case that upheld the lower courts' verdicts of Dr. Eells' guilt. The various styles of early 19th century furniture are also on display in the house. The Department of the Interior/National Park Service has designated the Dr. Richard Eells House a part of its Freedom Trail, and has supported the restoration.