The annual Dogwood Festival is an extra special weekend this year as it celebrates the new Quincy/Adams County brand. The festival includes a parade, concerts downtown featuring a variety of genres of music, activities in Washington Park, and more. This year’s theme is “Right on Q,” and festival attendees are encouraged to take photos of the parade and events throughout the weekend and post them to their Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts tagged with #RightonQ. Parade participants are encouraged to create floats that include the new Right on Q logo in the design.
2016 Dogwood Festival Schedule:
Thursday, April 28
• 7:00 p.m. Little King and Queen of Dogwood Pageant, Quincy Mall Center Court
Friday, April 29
• 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Concert in the Plaza featuring Avenue Beat at First Mid-Illinois Bank Plaza, next to St. Boniface Church.
Saturday, April 30
• 8:30 a.m., Breakfast on the Lawn, First Christian Church, 1415 Maine
• 9:00 a.m.-6 p.m., Amusement Rides, food, crafts in Washington Park
• 9:30 a.m. Parade, 24th and Maine, proceeds west to 6th St. Please bring a canned food item for the “Operation Serve” collection for local pantries.
• 12:00-3:00 p.m., Entertainment downtown
• Noon to 4 p.m.: Live acoustic concert inside Washington Theater, 425 Hampshire. $2 admission. Tours also given. Featured artists will be Liz Bentley at noon, Kayla Obert at 1:30 and Jacqueline Kaufman and Ivan Yantis at 3
• 5:00 p.m., Outdoor concert and Street dance at Maine and Jail Alley, sponsored by The District
• 6:00-11:00 p.m., Dogwood Dance, Elks Lodge #100, 311 N. 2nd St. There will be dinner at 6 p.m. and dancing from 7 to 11 p.m. with music from Raised on Radio. Sponsored by the American Business Women’s Association—Quincy Charter Chapter. Tickets can be purchased by calling Sue Chiodini at (217) 653-1005.
Sunday, May 1
• 12:00-4:00 p.m., Amusement Rides, food, crafts in Washington Park
• 1:00-3:00 p.m., Entertainment downtown
• 1:00-4 p.m.: Log Cabins open house, Quinsippi Island.
• 1:00-5:00 p.m. Quincy Preserves Spring “Behind Closed Doors” Home Tour. For more information on locations, visit www.quincypreserves.org.
• 3:00 p.m., All Faiths Concert, Clat Adams Park, sponsored by The District
• 3:00 p.m.: Quincy University Hawk Express Jazz Band will perform its Spring Jazz Showcase Concert at Quincy University's Connie Niemann Center for Music on QU's North Campus. The concert is free and open to the public.
An updated calendar for the Dogwood Festival can be found at www.quincychamber.org. The schedule is subject to change. For more information contact the Quincy Area Chamber of Commerce at 217-222-7980.